The Ski Slope
The Ski Slope
Dive into the spellbinding, snowyallure of a Japanese winter with AISL Outdoor Winter Camp. Set amidst the enchanting landscapes of the award-winning Appi Kogen Ski Resort, we invite young adventurers to weave a tapestry of unforgettable memories, master new skills and delight in the wonders of a fun-packed winter wonderland.
180-8 Appikogen, Hachimantai City, Iwate Prefecture, Japan
all costs, including camp enrolment, use of facilities, catering services, ski equipment, lift passes, and shuttle bus transportation. Please note that laundry services are not available on-site and are not included in the fees.
All associated costs due to visa application as well as transportation costs to/from the campsite are to be borne by the parents/guardians.
Please note that the schedule and activities are subject to change based on weather conditions and other unforeseen circumstances.
The Enchantment of Appi Kogen
Step into the world of Appi Kogen, crowned as Japan's Best Ski Resort in 2022 by the World Ski Awards. Cradled next to Mount Hachimantai, the largest frost-covered woodland (‘Snow Monster’) area in Japan, Appi Kogen is a paradise for winter enthusiasts. Here's what awaits you:
- Residential School Experience; AISL Harrow Appi offers an enriching residential Harrow international school experience. Students live and learn in the heart of Appi Kogen, enabling them to immerse themselves in a unique environment that blends education, nature and alpine sports.
- A Prestigious Destination; Revel in the wonder of skiing at an award-winning ski location .
- Diverse Terrains; With 21 unique ski courses (pistes) stretching over 43,100 metres, we cater to all skill levels, from beginners to advanced snow enthusiasts.
- Exquisite Snow Quality; Positioned on north-facing slopes, Appi Kogen offers the finest powder snow for a sublime skiing experience in the north of Japan.
- Thrilling Tree Run Zones; Six expansive tree-run zones await, promising an adrenaline-fueled, though safe, adventure.
A Kaleidoscope of Winter Wonders: Activities and Highlights
This winter camp promises a diverse array of activities to ignite curiosity, inspire creativity and ensure every student is immersed in exploration, learning and fun. Witness the magic unfold through these key activities:
- Skiing and Snowboard Sessions; Let the adventure begin on the awe-inspiring, snowcovered slopes. Expert-guided sessions cater to students at all skill levels, sparking their enthusiasm for winter sports and helping them attain new heights of mastery.
- Snowman Building Competition; Artistry and imagination take centre stage in our snowman-building competition. Here, students craft unique, intricate and whimsical snowmen (and women), capturing the enchanting spirit of winter in their frosty creations.
- Snow Fort Battles; A fusion of creativity, teamwork and engineering comes to life as students construct impressive snow forts, and then defend them from snowball attack. This activity sets the stage for an endless series of snowy escapades.
- Snowshoeing; The serene exercise of snowshoeing presents a singular blend of sport and winter landscape exploration. Students traverse the silent snowy terrain, immersing themselves in the tranquil beauty of the season whilst gaining valuable new skills.
- Creative Sessions: The heart of winter's splendor provides the perfect backdrop for artistic expression during creative sessions. Here, students can unwind and unleash their imagination tocreate distinctive art pieces with winter themes.
- Snow Cave Building and Campfire; Unique outdoor experiences come alive as students construct snow caves and gather around a warming campfire. In the glow of the starlit winter sky, a sense of camaraderie and teamwork shines bright.
- Stargazing; As the night falls, the mysteries of the cosmos unravel during enlightening stargazing sessions. These magical evenings imbue a sense of wonder as students learn about constellations and marvel at the luminous celestial show.
- Games and Movie Night; After a day brimming with winter adventures, games and a movie night offer relaxation and fun. These cozy evening activities foster a sense of community, wrapping up the day with laughter and shared enjoyment.
- Appi Winter Olympics: The grand finale is the exhilarating Appi Winter Olympics. Here, students showcase their newfound skills and compete in friendly challenges, testing their prowess in skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing. This event encourages a sense of accomplishment and fosters healthy competition.
Our programmes are meticulously designed to foster a comprehensive understanding of winter sports, from basic skills to advanced techniques. Here are the learning outcomes for each level:
- Understanding Basic Gear; Participants will familiarize themselves with ski equipment, including boots, skis and poles.
- Safety Protocols; Participants will learn how to fall safely and recover.
- Balance and Posture; Emphasis will be on developing a balanced stance and understanding the importance of weight distribution.
- Basic Movement; Participants will acquire skills to slide on flat terrain and execute basic turns.
- Ski Lift Use; Safe use of ski lifts and understanding mountain signage will be taught.
- Snowplough Technique: The beginner-level snowplough (or "pizza") technique for slowing down and stopping will be mastered.
- Parallel Skiing; Participants will transition from snowplough to parallel skiing techniques.
- Speed Control; The ability to control speed in various terrains and conditions will be developed.
- Turn Variations; Participants will master different types of turns like parallel, carving and stem christie turns.
- Terrain Adaptability; Participants will learn to ski comfortably on different types of snow and varying terrain.
- Mountain Awareness; A deeper understanding of mountain conditions, including how to navigate and assess risk, will be gained.
- Ski Etiquette; Participants will understand and practice mountain etiquette and safe skiing practices.
- Equipment Familiarity; Participants will understand the basic snowboarding gear, including boots, bindings and board.
- Safety Measures; Participants will learn how to fall safely to minimize injury risk.
- Basic Maneuvers; Participants will master the fundamentals of sliding, turning and stopping on flat or mild slopes.
- Lift Use; Safe use of ski lifts for snowboarding will be taught.
- Balance and Stability; Participants will work on developing a stable riding stance.
- Edge Control; Participants will come to understand how to use the board's edges for control.
- Carving Turns; Participants will learn to execute smooth, carved turns.
- Speed Management; Participants will become comfortable at higher speeds and in varying snow conditions.
- Dynamic Movements; Participants will develop the ability to make quick, reactive movements.
- Riding Switch; Participants will learn the basics of riding in the opposite stance.
- Mountain Safety; Participants will enhance their knowledge of mountain rules, safety precautions and navigation techniques.
Join us in Appi Kogen for an unforgettable winter wonderland adventure filled with fun, learning, and a healthy dose of "Japow"!
Dates: 17–22 December 2023 & 2-7 January 2024
Location: AISL Harrow Appi
Age Group: 10-16 years old
Camp Type: 5.5-day residential camp
Group Size: 50-100 (Minimum 50 students)
Terms and Conditions
We have a number of policies in place to assure the quality of our programmes, their administration and the safety of the children and staff who take part in them. Please take a moment to review our policies and guidelines.
Please also read through our Personal Information Collection Statement to understand how we may use your personal data.